Alexandra Quay Re-Development, Dublin Port
Finite Element Analysis
AGL are geotechnical designers for a new quay wall at Alexandra Quay East in Dublin Port to allow for greater dredging depths and increased quayside loading. This included:
- 2D and 3D Finite element analysis of a new quay wall to be installed in front of the existing quay wall, which was constructed with large concrete caissons. The new wall will be a steel combi-wall tied back to the existing caissons so the design needed to allow for very complex soil-structure interaction.
- Overall stability of the quay wall was checked by finite element analysis and by slope stability software. A deep seated slip surface was shown to be a critical failure mechanism which was allowed for in the selection of the wall toe depth.
- The design was required to comply with strict quayside settlement criteria and onerous over dig and scour requirements. Non-linear soil modelling was used to demonstrate compliance with the Employer’s Requirements.
- The tidal flow through the existing quay wall was assessed and drainage measures designed for the new quay wall to maintain this flow.
- 3D finite element analysis of the quayside concrete slab for container stacking up to 7 levels, including the rolling gantry crane loading.