N2 Carrickmacross Bypass
Location: Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan
Client: Jons Moneley JV
Project Value: €25 million
AGL Consulting were geotechnical designers to the Jons/Moneley JV on the Design-Build contract for the N2 Carrickmacross Bypass which involved the design and construction of 9.8 km of wide single carriageway national primary road with embankments up to 8-10 m high over soft ground, cut sections up to 20 m deep through drumlins, and 10 structures including bridges and reinforced concrete box culverts. Our scope of work included the following:
- Earthworks design, drawings and contract specifications.
- Preparation of the geotechnical interpretive report.
- Geotechnical design of structure foundations.
- Supplemental ground investigations with cone penetration testing in soft ground areas.
- Assessment of karst risk at the northern end of the scheme with additional geophysical investigations, trial pits and embankment formation inspections.
- Design for staged construction of embankments over soft ground with surcharging and monitoring of settlement and pore water pressures.
- Design of geogrid reinforcement for steepened embankements
- Finite element analysis of composite abutment structure for an existing historic masonry arch bridge that was incorporated into the permanent works under a new embankment.