River Dargle Flood Defence Scheme – La Vallee
Location: Bray Co. Wicklow
Client: Jons Civil Engineering Co. Ltd.
Project Value: €3.5 million
AGL were lead designers to the Contractor – Jons Civil Engineering Co. Ltd. – on a design build contract for the River Dargle flood defence scheme at La Vallee in Bray Co. Wicklow. Our scope of work included the:
- Geotechnical and earthworks design of the new river channel profile over a critical 360 m transition length on the scheme to comply with the hydraulic design for sub-critical flow to ensure that water levels and flow velocities for the design river flow were within acceptable limits.
- Geotechnical and structural design of the sheetpile walls and ground anchors on both river banks to support the river bank and multi-storey office and apartment buildings behind the wall for the temporary and permanent excavations to re-profile the river channel and install the rip-rap scour protection in the river bed.
- Design of the sheetpile wall and ground anchors system on the right bank to support a large-scale historic slope failure opposite the apartment buildings on the site.
- Design of transition details between new flood defence system and existing river bank.
- Inspection and evaluation of the works during construction.