SYSCO/Pallas Foods Distribution Centre
Location: Kilnamonagh, North Co. Dublin.
Client: John Paul Construction/Balfour Beatty JV
Project Value: €43 million
Categories: Earthworks, Industrial, Commercial, Ground Improvement
AGL Consulting were geotechnical designers for the John Paul Construction/Balfour Beatty JV on a Design-Build project involving the construction of a 30,0000 sq.m food distribution centre comprised of a 15,000 sq.m refrigerated warehouse, a 13,000 sq.m dry warehouse and 2,000 sq.m of high specification office units and all associated access roads, paved truck parking areas and site infrastructure on a 40 acre site in Kilnamonagh, North Co. Dublin.
As geotechnical designers we:
- Prepared the earthworks design and specification for the scheme, which involved lime-cement stabilisation of marginal cohesive glacial till to form structural fill and capping below the buildings, hardstanding areas and access roads for a winter earthworks schedule;
- Designed the building pad foundations to be supported on the structural fill, in situ soft to firm, firm or stiff Boulder Clay, or on weathered Limestone/Mudstone rock.
- Incorporated specialist earthworks designs to mitigate against the risk of pyritic heave in areas where the underlying Mudstone/Limestone rock was exposed during construction.
- Advised on sulfate content limits for imported structural fill from north Dublin quarries to address the issue of pyritic heave
- Provided a full-time Designer’s Site Representative for the earthworks operations.
- Inspected and certified the high-spec floor slab foundation construction details.