New Europe Bridge – Road and Rail Western Approach Corridor
Location: Vidin, Bulgaria
Client: FCC Construction
Categories: Road, Motorway, Rail, High Speed Rail, Site Investigation
AGL Consulting were specialist geotechnical consultants to the Contractor – FCC Construction – for the design and construction of 9km of high speed railway and motorway embankments on the western approach corridor to the New Europe Bridge across the Danube between Viding in Bulgaria and Calafat in Romania. Our scope of work included the following:
- The scope of work and specification for a supplemental site investigation involving trial pits, boreholes and CPT probes with laboratory testing.
- Technical support for the site investigation, including walkover survey of the site, logging of the trial pits and scheduling laboratory tests.
- An assessment of the liquefaction potential of fine and coarse-grained alluvium on the River Danube floodplain from boreholes, CPT data, and the results of in-situ and laboratory testing.
- An assessment of the collapse potential of loess sand deposits.
- An independent review of embankment stability and consolidation settlements, including a review of the settlement data from a trial embankment.
- An assessment of made ground along the existing rail embankments with proposed design and construction options for the new embankments.